The topic I'd like to see represented in a keynote at ISTE 2010 is...

Social media technologies & learning

Students have an opportunity to learn in unprecedented ways by using new social networking tools. However, they are unavailable in many districts. How can these tools be leveraged to revolutionize the learning process?

370 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lisa PerezLisa Perez shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • gwynethjonesgwynethjones commented  · 

rather than pushing away, blocking, or discouraging learning through social media we, as technology educators and digital collaborators, must embrace this mode of learning! the horse is already out of the barn, folks!...do you want to rope it, shoot it, or ride it into the future? i would prefer to be a cowgrrl!

• gskeeseegskeesee commented  · 

I am working with teachers in an 11 county area around Ft Bragg. We are trying to bring 21st century technology into the classroom. However, when I tried to use a wiki to share information I am told that the school board has blocked many Web 2.0 tools--including YouTube, blogs, and wikis. Teachers can't even access these tools without a lot of hassle--or even not then. So, how to we overcome this barrier?

• Julia PooleJulia Poole commented  · 

I like how Steve Hargadon has phrased this as Educational Networking. Using all those wonderful tools within Social media to enhance and advance education. What a concept!

• Marty DanielMarty Daniel commented  · 

This is such a hot button issue in K-12 education. It's an important and timely topic.

• Carol TeitelmanCarol Teitelman commented  · 

Thank you for the recognition that we have large numbers of students without access to the basic connectivity to try social networking...some because of filters and some because of limited connectivity,.

• wedding042107wedding042107 commented  · 

How do students use social networking in their lives. I think Danah Boyd is a fantastic speaker on this topic.

• Lisa PerezLisa Perez commented  · 

We instinctively know that if our students could have full access to social media technologies, it could revolutionize the learning process in schools. What can we do under current filtering restraints? What are the benefits and issues with making these technologies more freely available to our students? How can we encourage teachers to incorporate these technologies in their instruction?

Feedback and Knowledge Base