The topic I'd like to see represented in a keynote at ISTE 2010 is...

Universal Design for Learning

Through the Use of Technology :
* Multiple means of representation, to give learners various ways of acquiring information and knowledge,
* Multiple means of action and expression, to provide learners alternatives for demonstrating what they know,
* Multiple means of engagement, to tap into learners' interests, offer appropriate challenges, and increase motivation.

486 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    dkbaud01dkbaud01 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • shannon McElroyshannon McElroy commented  · 

I so agree with elanderosd - it is sad that this is not the topic of choice! UDL is really at the heart of 21st Century learning - its really where the rubber hits the road - right in the classroom - the very diverse classroom where differentiated learning is simplified by using educational technology under the umbrella of universal design!

• CSouthardCSouthard commented  · 

UDL should be universal. Let's get the word out. :)

• LauraPLauraP commented  · 

UDL is vital to the success of every student and encompasses the use of technologies and skills needed by the 21st century learner. If you're on the fence of what to vote for, select UDL as the framework to meet the diverse needs of today's learners, AND prepare students for the 21st century.

• Cathy BuyrnCathy Buyrn commented  · 

I am convinced this framework is the way to go. If instruction is designed with a variety of ways for ALL students to access the content, we will help more students find success. So many students are seen as 'broken' when it is really the shallow instructional design that is broken. The linear design of instruction has been lacking for so long and the technology available today makes it so easy to build depth and variety so that it is accessible to everyone. If we're to ever achieve true integration, we have to start with instructional design and use the tech to support the layers of learning.

• Kendra GrantKendra Grant commented  · 

I agree this is an important topic and in many ways is the foundation for everything we want to achieve with and for students. We recognize that students need to learn “21st century” skills such as – collaboration, critical thinking, media literacy, information literacy, communication and creativity...however, to develop these skills, students need to be supported with digital media to overcome barriers to learning that are created in text-only environments.
        Dr. Dave Edyburn talks about “naked independence”. “…it exults the performance of able-bodied individuals and devalues the performance of others who must rely on external devices or tools.” Before we can address learning for this century we need to ensure that all students can find success at school (move beyond remedial activities) and engage with curriculum and learning in ways that honour their learning style and needs.

• elanderosdelanderosd commented  · 

It is sad to see that this topic is not getting more votes. How can we create an effective environment in the digital era if we don't know how to enhance the learning needs of our students? This approach touches theopries that have been on since the early 90's, and it is based on Vygotsky, Luria, Jonassen, and others findings.

• cheryloakes50cheryloakes50 commented  · 

This is critical and will build capacity if all educators, teachers and administrators realize that by offering student choices, using technology, that we will be meeting the needs of our learners by engaging them using those tools.

Feedback and Knowledge Base