The topic I'd like to see represented in a keynote at ISTE 2010 is...

I in ISTE stands for International, so why don't we talk more about global learning?

171 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mark.vanthooft shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben Rimes commented  · 

In all seriousness, ISTE is an American organization, dedicated to perpetuating the American ideal of how technology should be used in education. Not that I'm trying to downplay the significant role ISTE plays, but rather acknowledge the fact that ISTE is really more focused on connecting the rest of the world to the U.S., and not so much acknowledging the value the rest of the world can bring to U.S. education. It's one of the reasons I'm not a dues paying member of the organization. I can get all the U.S. centric education I need from my state ed tech organization.

• Michael Grantham commented  · 

Agree with all statements above - I* think learning in global contexts in this centry is vital. ISTE needs to either become a truely "I"nternationally focused organisation rather than just in name or change to the ASTE - people will still be more than happy to belong and contribute to, but reduces any preconceived notions of a true global view of the Orgz.

• Durff commented  · 

And have international educators deliver this keynote via f2f and Skype / video conferencing software on the big screen. This could be so cool. Like to see Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsay do this calling in Thomas Friedman and Terry Freedman and Jeff Utecht.

• Heather Davis commented  · 

As an international teacher I also feel that I am always fighting the American centric view of so much of the information that is coming out. It is amazing what teachers are doing internationally with their classes and I am not talking about the expat teachers at international schools but the teacher who is teaching in a public school in their home country.

• dorothy commented  · 

I was going to submit a similar topic, but instead will endorse this one. My suggestion is that international/global includes the voice of the local people who live in countries. With respect I add, not just the 'international school' voice of other countries if that only represents expatriates who are temporary residents.

• kerube98 commented  · 

Teachers in other countries also have a lot to contribute to the technology education discussion. Students all around the world are outperforming American students on 21st century skills (taken form Partnership for 21st Century Skills site). How can they accomplish that? What are they doing different from us? What can we learn from them?

• Sloane commented  · 

I agree! Then we can pool those resources together, build a directory of international loose affiliates so they can find each other in their villages, neighborhoods, states, next county, region, etc and they can among themselves organize smaller events outside of ISTE to extend, continue and evolve the conversations. We have to stop thinking national borders and instead as a collective, transcendental narrative, a global humanitarian effort in bringing learning out of its 20th century context into the promising emancipation of creativity, intelligences, skills, potentials 21st century learning will bring.

There is strength in numbers and synchronicity.

• petunia8210 commented  · 

If we are truly an international organization, then, we should be thinking about how to improve access to technology for educational purposes worldwide. Is the infrastructure there, in Africa, for example, to promote technolgy internationally? What can ISTE do to assist or facilitate worldwide access to technology?

• Michael Vallance commented  · 

I agree. I know ISTE has connected to Singapore but what about the rest of us? We get the odd article and letter in the magazine but mostly the contexts are USA focussed. OK. fair enough .. but please not pretend it is 'international'. IMHO. It needs to be discussed. I vote for this topic :-)

• mark.vanthooft commented  · 

The I in ISTE stands for International, yet ISTE seems primarily focused on teaching and learning with technology in the United States. However, in an age of increasing globalization made possible by digital technologies, isn't it important that we worry less about boundaries and focus more on learning from a global perspective, rather than just an American one?

Feedback and Knowledge Base