The topic I'd like to see represented in a keynote at ISTE 2010 is...

Trends, Tools and Tactics for 21st Century Learning

Today's educators have amazing tools, nearly at their fingertips. How do we put them in the hands of learners so they'll be ready for the world that awaits?

1,064 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin HoneycuttKevin Honeycutt shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NYSCATE TechieNYSCATE Techie commented  · 

I agree wholeheartedly with many of these comments and the fact that we need someone new and invigorating to take us t the next level not a person that is no longer working day to day changing education for our children. No more professional speakers lets vote for someone that will challenge us to think but who has actually worked with teachers and students in the past 10 years.

• dlwielanddlwieland commented  · 

Kevin is a very motivating, thought-provoking speaker that everyone deserves to hear.

• Heather DavisHeather Davis commented  · 

I agree with Vicki about moving into a new way of thinking. Keynotes should challenge us to change our thinking or at least start us thinking of new possibilities. The tools do change year to year. We all know how hard it is to keep current with all of the incredible tools. I want to be able to dream a bit and be challenged. I am an opinion leader and have no desire to be a formal leader. I want to be pushed into new thinking.

• Bonnie Bracey SuttonBonnie Bracey Sutton commented  · 

Great speaker. We keep talking about this but it is just an idea. He will put the ideas into action

• Ann BuehlAnn Buehl commented  · 

Kevin is an inspiring speaker, entertainer, and motivator. He helps teachers learn how to use technology so students love learning and become creators and owners of their own learning. I can't wait until I can be part of another Kevin Honeycutt presentation.

• Cynthia GarretyCynthia Garrety commented  · 

I think we "as voters" are getting caught up in the terms that Kevin has used here in his proposal. What this proposal brings us is stories from the trenches about kids, teachers, technology and what's really happening. If that doesn't get participants thinking about their classrooms and how they teach, what will??

I, for one, am tired of listening to the same ole keynote speakers taking bits and pieces of others ideas to form a keynote about the future of education. No offense, they've been great but it's time we, as a conference, turn the keynotes over to the participants..this has been a great idea ISTE..wtg!

• Kevin HoneycuttKevin Honeycutt commented  · 

In the interest of clarity, I want to lay out the reasons why I think this topic, (done by anyone) would make a great keynote for ISTE. Several people have suggested that ”tools” are not enough, so I will take a moment and try to illustrate the reasons why there are three words in this keynote topic title. Kevin Honeycutt

Trends:
        Any presenter will share the urgency that exists to get education to focus on the rapidly changing world and the new skills needed to succeed in it. They will illustrate the new expectations that world has for the product we send forward from our classrooms. To assume that every conference attendee is fully aware or this would be a mistake. Going over the skills our students might need to succeed and the new ways they learn, network and share is important.

Tools:
        Any presenter will share some of the many and constantly emerging tools that the world uses to learn, change and survive. They will share ways schools can leverage these tools to allow kids to grow strong, new muscles that will serve them well in this world. They will talk about the need for kids to learn new forms of global citizenship on these digital playgrounds as well as the need for this to become a new curriculum we in education focus on.

Tactics:
        Any presenter will share some strategies for moving schools in positive, new directions. They will talk about the need for inspired leadership, commitment to continual learning and a focus on doing what’s best for kids. They will share ways to leverage networks to encourage self-directed learning for teachers and they will also share examples of successful strategies. They will challenge us to become advocates for positive, educational change in our schools.

• Ann WareAnn Ware commented  · 

Recommend tying accepted research-based practices to this keynote so that the common language that teachers strive towards is connected to how the tools can enable success. The accepted importance of feedback and prior knowledge can be enabled by technology tools.

• Martin LevinsMartin Levins commented  · 

why do we only evaluate skills every century?

• Joan PaulyJoan Pauly commented  · 

JP
        I have heard Kevin speak to teachers and to students. He is amazing at doing both! I think he would be a wonderful keynote speaker!

• BarbaraBarbara commented  · 

First off yes we need to kkep the focus on topics not speakers. Kevin says in an earlier comment..."Change in local best-practices comes from trusting local teacher-leaders to explore and learn and bring that new thinking to the entire staff and school community. How do we grow innovation in education and create new pockets of possibility? This is the kind of question I want to ask and the kind of conversation I want to have."..
        I see the issue of leadership in both Kevin and Scott's topics. I just hope that we do address leadership or maybe more correctly how we ALL need to be agents of radical change. I think we have to do a lot more than "create new pockets of possibility"

Vicki and Scott, I agree. The topic is the thing and we need to let the topics and descrptions go on their own merits.

• Vicki DavisVicki Davis commented  · 

If you look at the guidelines for this, right now we are voting on topics, not speakers. I love Kevin, but I think he is proposing something more than him doing the session but the topic here.

• Scott McLeodScott McLeod commented  · 

Is this a nomination for Kevin's idea or Kevin himself? I think Kevin is amazing too, but I thought this was about an idea bigger than that (and thus might be a speaker other than Kevin)...

• Lorie HoneycuttLorie Honeycutt commented  · 

When presenting info to kids, we all know the difficulty can often be getting past that initial barrier of distraction, hesitation & boredom- and somehow engaging their minds & attention to the subject matter. My brother Kevin has always had that ability by nature, but in his work he incorporates the latest information about technology in education- stresses safety, but without using the "doom & gloom" approach. Not just children- but fellow teachers & parents as well- leave his presentation feeling empowered & informed- not brow-beaten & anxious. For every "problem" he brings up, he gives suggestions on how to address it- and more importantly, provides the listener with information & suggestions on how THEY can form their OWN conclusions & find solutions that work for them =) Kevin spends nearly every waking moment traveling all over the country tohelp educate kids, parents & teachers about using technology in schools & other important topics. Each & every time- you could swear it was the "first time" he'd ever given one of those presentations. Not just because each audience is different- but because he makes a huge effort to refresh his data & content every time- and to deliver it with genuine excitement & conviction. In more than 10 yrs I've yet to see a single audience member walk away from one of his discussions without noting his true genuine concern & passion for education- regardless of the topic.

• amy waggoneramy waggoner commented  · 

I have known Kevin Honeycutt for years and have appreciated his leadership as an educator for the 21st Century. He inspires teachers to be innovative and creative in their classrooms. He is informative regarding pitfalls and concerns; he helps teachers and parents be vigilant regarding teaching kids safety and responsibility when using the internet. Kevin Honeycutt makes any "rookie" in regard to technology feel comfortable and empowered to take that first step and try something new. He is also accessible for support and a great cheerleader once a project has been completed.

I have attended many of Kevin's sessions over the years. He would be a dynamite keynote speaker! I choose his sessions over others at many conferences and inservices because I know I will walk away with tons of new ideas, resources, and how-to skills. The time is always well-spent and beneficial. I also enjoy his enthusiasm, energy, and the way he can make an important point in an entertaining and memorable way.

• Rita SorrentinoRita Sorrentino commented  · 

Kevin is inspiring and can really help reluctant folks make some changes as well as engage the shakers and movers to new levels of change agents.

There is duality in this message and to see it as a new tools drive-by is to miss the point and the nuance of the approach. This is a much broader conversation than one about new and flashy new tools. Trends is about making the case that the expectations of the world outside and those of the one inside many classrooms are out of balance. This message prompts educators and educational leaders to look for new approaches and tools. Tactics is about ways to change school culture and attitudes about change. Through networks we as educators can learn and share and create movements that may move fast, while supporting change agents. There are many amazing examples that win hearts and minds and without these images and stories we often struggle to move forward because educators respond to stories about other teachers, students and classrooms. Mandates from leadership are an important part of this conversation but in my opinion, inspiring beats requiring. You can strap a jet engine to a biplane but you're likely to tear the wings off. Change in local best-practices comes from trusting local teacher-leaders to explore and learn and bring that new thinking to the entire staff and school community. How do we grow innovation in education and create new pockets of possibility? This is the kind of question I want to ask and the kind of conversation I want to have.

• Lori CollinsLori Collins commented  · 

Focus on Best Practices....move from the theory and show!

• Tracy Ann HardinTracy Ann Hardin commented  · 

<<We're not talking tactics, we're talking strategies of change.>> In my instructional technology coursework, we are exploring so many innovative ways to instruct, but 95% of the things we are using are blocked in the classrooms?! How can we get the word out the students are being ripped of and teachers are being censored! <<This about helping these children in our classrooms who are desperately needing to be reached in the ways that they learn. These kids are drowning and dropping out of school. We just don't need to talk about more tools that are going to leave so many glassy eyed and lost but about making a difference in the ways we can to have wide scale positive incorporation of technology into the classrooms in ways that reach kids.>>We got the tools, but someone needs to give us permission to use them. In a way, I think the decision makers are not as informed about all of the resources as the teachers. It's like the are "scared" of this technology, they don't get it, therefore, we don't get it in the classroom, and the kids are basically sitting in a classroom with a glorified chalkboard and getting no exposure to the wealth of resources out there!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base