The topic I'd like to see represented in a keynote at ISTE 2010 is...

Supporting K-12 Online Learning

K-12 online learning is growing at a phenomenal rate in the United States and worldwide. Research has shown that one of the key factors in student success is support at the local school level. What do teachers need to know and be able to do to help support students in their locals school to succeed in this largely independent learning environment.

227 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mkbwsumkbwsu shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mkbwsumkbwsu commented  · 

This is very true Dorothy, but to be honest bureaucracies are actually doing a pretty good - not great, but pretty good - job of making these opportunities available to students. The problem is that beyond the online teachers and course designers, there isn't much out/anything there for the regular classroom teacher to be able to support their own students who are engaged in online learning from one of these online providers.

• Dorothy FullerDorothy Fuller commented  · 

Independent learning environments are the future. Knowledge and innovation are expanding too fast to wait for lesson plans to be developed and approved by cumbersome bureaucracies. One of the greatest gifts we can give to our students is an environment that supports, encourages, and develops self-knowledge of learning needs and self-regulation in the pursuit of essential knowledge and understanding in a wide range of fields and disciplines. Online learning provides a place for such support and development to occur.

Feedback and Knowledge Base